Keto Cheesy Taco Skillet Recipe
One of the favorite types of food to eat in our house is Tex-Mex, as we love seasoned meats, cheeses, and hot salsas. At least once a week we make some sort of Mexican-inspired dish like our Keto Chicken Enchiladas, Keto Locos Tacos, or this Keto Cheesy Taco Skillet recipe here.
The trick to making good tasting Keto-friendly tacos or similar dishes really comes down to the spices. I know that a lot of people who eat what they call “Dirty Keto” will still reach for the packets of Taco Seasoning, as it is very convenient, but be sure to read the labels on those. Most of those packets of Taco Seasonings will have either Sugar, Maltodextrin, or Dextrose added to them to enhance the flavoring, but no sweetener is really needed when making your own Taco Seasoning.
Sometimes we will eat this just as is, like a casserole, and other times we will scoop this up and make Lettuce Wraps with the filling and add some Sour Cream on top too. You can really do what you prefer with this, and even add it on top of a fresh salad if you want to make a Keto Taco Salad too.
KETO CHEESY TACO SKILLET RECIPE
Ease of Preparation: Easy
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
- 1 LB Grass-Fed Ground Beef
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese (Shredded)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Diced)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Diced)
- 1 Zucchini (Diced)
- 1 Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (Diced)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (Diced)
- 1 TBSP Chili Powder
- 2 TSP Onion Powder
- 1 TSP Cumin
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TSP Paprika
- 1 TSP Dried Oregano
- 1/2 TSP Pink Himalayan Salt
Optional for Garnish/Toppings:
- 1 Bunch Green Onion (Sliced)
- Iceberg Lettuce (Shredded)
- Prep the Vegetables by Dicing them all into bite-size pieces or smaller.
- In a Large Skillet over Medium-High Heat brown 1 Pound of Grass-Fed Ground Beef.
- When the meat is browned add in the Yellow Onion, Green Bell Pepper, Red Bell Pepper, and Zucchini then stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Next add in the Cherry Tomatoes and Jalapeno Pepper then stir and cook for a couple minutes before adding in the seasoning.
- For the seasoning you could use your own preferred Taco Seasoning, but we like to use a mix of Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Dried Oregano, and a little bit of Pink Himalayan Salt. So many of the packaged Taco Seasonings have added ingredients like Dextrose or MSG that are not so good for you to consume. By making the seasoning ourselves, we can be assured we know what is in it.
- Stir in the seasoning, and cook for about 5 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Shred the Cheddar Cheese and sprinkle on top of the skillet mixture and allow to melt while the food is still very hot.
- Optionally you can garnish the dish with a topping of Shredded Iceberg Lettuce, Green Onions or even add things like Sour Cream on top to kick up the flavor to your liking. You can serve this as-is or even scoop it into some Iceberg Lettuce Leaves for some Keto Cheesy Taco Lettuce Wraps.