Keto Mozzarella Cheese Stick Recipe
Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks can be an awesome appetizer or snack, and when you are eating Keto they can be made to taste identical to their normal counterparts. This recipe for Keto Mozzarella Sticks hits the spot and even my kids love eating these too.
The trick is to make absolutely sure that you freeze the string cheese after you cut it in half so that it does not completely melt away when you go to fry the outer coating. Most of the time when you order this type of dish from a restaurant they are frozen solid, and that’s just how they are cooked. If you skip this step you will be disappointed, as well as end up with a frying pan full of melted cheese all over the place. You could even make these ahead of time and freeze the outer coating too if you wanted.
Aside from that, with just a few alterations these turn out really well. I choose to double coat mine so that there is a nice solid coating on the outside, and also to make sure that there is something crisp holding the cheese together. The cheese should be melted on the inside when you have cooked these all the way, so that when you break them apart the cheese is nice and stringy.
I like to dip my Keto Mozzarella Cheese Sticks in Marinara Sauce, but not just any ole run of the mill Marinara. If you are looking to get the absolute lowest carb Marinara Sauce the lowest I have been able to find so far is the Rao’s Sensitive Marinara but it can be a little pricey. If you want to get one that is decent in cost and still low in carb, go for Mezzetta’s Marinara Sauce instead. They both taste great either way!
KETO MOZZARELLA CHEESE STICK RECIPE
Ease of Preparation: Easy
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6 Minutes
Total Time: 16 Minutes
- 6 Mozzarella String Cheese Sticks
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parmesan or Romano (Grated)
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Olive Oil (For Frying)
- 1/2 Cup Mezzetta Marinara Sauce (For Dipping)
- At least 1 hour before planning to cook these Keto Mozzarella Sticks, plan to cut the String Cheese Sticks in half, and place them in the freezer. If you do not freeze them, they will completely melt when you fry them, and will not turn out the way you would hope. You can even freeze them over night if you want to make sure they are frozen solid before you proceed.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat two eggs.
- In another medium mixing bowl combine 1/2 Cup Almond Flour, 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano, 1 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic, 1/2 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt, and 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper.
- Dredge the Cheese in the eggs, then coat in the dry ingredients. Repeat with each cheese stick so that each one is double coated. This helps make sure that there is a nice thick coating on the outside of each one.
- In a Large Frying Pan pour in an adequate amount of oil to halfway cover the Cheese Sticks when you fry them. Depending on the size of your frying pan this amount will vary. Optionally you could use a deep fryer too if you have one available. I like the flavor of Olive Oil, but if you use it for frying you just need to be aware that you will not want to raise the oil temperature above 375*F or so to avoid smoking. A good quality Olive Oil should be able to reach these temperatures without issue. If you prefer another type of oil, feel free to use that instead.
- Fry the Keto Mozzarella Sticks until Golden Brown all around, and remove from the oil and allow to cool off on a Plate lined with Paper Towels to catch the excess oil that will drain off of them.
- Either eat just the way they are, or dip in your favorite dipping sauce such as Mezzetta Marinara Sauce (which is low in carbs and without added sugar)