Keto Pretzel Bites
One of the guilty pleasures that I missed so much living the Keto Lifestyle was pretzels, but now I can make some delicious Keto Pretzel Bites. I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and pretzels were a staple type of food there that people even ate for breakfast like others would eat a bagel. There’s something about their density and dough-ness mixed with some salty crunch that lights up the taste buds.
This recipe is a variation of Fat Head style dough that can be made for pizza crust, rolls and more, but it’s done in such a way that distinctly gives it the identifiable pretzel flavor that makes it so much more than simply “bread.”
If you have made this recipe, drop us some comments at the bottom of the page and let us know what you think! Enjoy.
KETO PRETZEL BITES RECIPE
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 Minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 Minutes
- 3 cups part skimmed mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 3 large eggs – One egg to be used for egg wash
- 2 cups superfine almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coarse salt (to sprinkle on top)
- Preheat oven to 400°F & Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add shredded mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl. Fully cover the cream cheese with mozzarella. Melt cheeses in the microwave on high in 30 second intervals. Stir after each 30 seconds and continue cooking until cheeses are completely melted and form a uniform cheese dough. This should take around 2-2 ½ minutes total. Do not try to melt it all at once.
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add cheese, 2 eggs and almond flour mixture into a food processor with dough blade attachment. Pulse on high speed until the dough is uniform. The dough will be quite sticky, which is normal.
- Wrap a cutting board with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap should keep your dough from sticking to the board. Lightly coat your hands with oil and divide dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each dough into long pieces about 1 inch thick.
- Using a sharp knife, slice dough into 3/4 inch wide pieces. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add the last egg to a bowl and whisk. Brush surface of pretzel bites with egg wash. Sprinkle coarse salt onto pretzel pieces as desired.
- Bake pretzels for about 12 minutes in the middle rack of your oven, or until pretzels are a light golden brown. Set your oven to a low broil and cook for about 2 minutes. This will crisp up the exterior of the pretzel. Watch your oven carefully during these 2 minutes as you don’t want to burn or overcook your pretzels.