Keto Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
With Fall finally here and Winter weather right around the corner, it will be comforting to have some warming meals like this Keto Chicken and Dumplings to serve for dinner. The dumplings have been replaced with an even more flavorful blend that’s Keto-friendly and super filling.
Some people are used to eating their Chicken and Dumplings as more of a soup, but that tends to make me think of Matzo Ball soup whenever I used to have it served that way. I always preferred mine to be thick and creamy, like a chowder and some tender biscuits on top. This Keto Chicken and Dumplings Recipe delivers on all those fronts.
Feel free to make variations to the recipe to make it more to your liking. If you want it even creamier you can even add some Cream Cheese to the sauce when you add the Sour Cream, and if you want it more like the soupy variety you can just leave out the Sour Cream and Heavy Whipping Cream and just substitute with additional Chicken Bone Broth. Either way it’s sure to be delicious.
KETO CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 Minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast or Tenders (Chopped)
- 4 Large Free-Range Eggs
- 1/4 Small White Onion (Diced)
- 1 Small Carrot (Diced)
- 1 Celery Stalk (Diced)
- 1 Cup Chicken Bone Broth
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese (Shredded)
- 3/4 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (Shredded)
- 1/3 Cup Fine Ground Almond Flour
- 5 Tablespoon Grass-Fed Butter (Divided)
- 2 Tablespoon Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 & 1/2 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- In a Large Frying Pan over Medium-High Heat add 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil. Slice up the 1 Pound of Chicken Breast or Tenders into pieces that are no larger than 1 Inch Cubes or chunks. Season with 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper and 1/4 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt.
- Stir the Chicken occasionally until it is cooked all the way through, but be careful not to overcook it. Remove the chicken from the Frying Pan and set aside for now.
- In a Large Frying Pan add 1 Tablespoon of Grass-Fed Butter and melt. Ad 1/4 Small White Onion (Diced), 1 Medium Celery Stalk (Diced), and 1 Small Carrot (Diced). Saute the vegetables until the are just tender, but not translucent.
- Pour in 3/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 Cup Chicken Bone Broth, and then season with 1 & 1/2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning (Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Marjoram), and add about 1/4 Teaspoon of Xanthan Gum to thicken up the creamy sauce a little bit.
- Cover the Sauce and Simmer while stirring occasionally. Cook until the sauce has reduced a little and has thickened up to a chowder-like consistency.
- Meanwhile let’s make the Dumpling mixture. In a Large Mixing Bowl add in 4 Tablespoons of Melted but slightly cooled Grass-Fed Butter (Not too hot, since we don’t want it to cook the eggs in the next step).
- Add 4 Large Free-Range Eggs, 1/4 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt, 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream, and whisk the contents together into an even consistency.
- Add in 1/3 Cup Super Fine Almond Flour, 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder, and fold the contents together into a dough. Then add in 3/4 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese and 3/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, and then fold those together with the other ingredients until it all looks to be evenly mixed.
- Add the previously cooked Chicken back into the pan with the other ingredients over Medium heat to warm back up a little.
- Pre-Heat the Oven to 400*F.
- Transfer the ingredients to an Oven-safe baking dish or casserole dish.
- Spoon the Dumpling Mixture from the Large Mixing Bowl on top of the Creamy Chicken base to create about a 1 to 1 & 1/2 Inch thick clumpy layer across the top. (Don’t try to spread it out evenly, it actually works better when it’s in clumps).
- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 15-20 Minutes at 400*F until the dumplings look baked to your liking. If you like them soft and doughy stick closer to the 15 minute mark. If you like them more dry and biscuit textured cook 20 minutes or more as desired. Be careful not to burn the cheese in the topping, once it gets fully cooked it can start to burn quickly.