Keto Grilled Halloumi Caprese Salad
This appetizer is a really interesting twist on a classic Italian dish. Rather than using the traditional Mozzarella Cheese (which usually has a few carbs) we are swapping this out for some Halloumi which has no carbs at all. To make it even more interesting, I like to grill the halloumi over some charcoal to impart some more flavor profiles onto the cheese.
Aside from that the rest pretty much goes together like a normal Caprese presentation once the cheese is grilled. Be careful after you flip the cheese the first time, as from my experience the second side always seems to cook MUCH faster than the first side.
Everything you love about a Caprese Salad just gets even more tantalizing with the flavor of Halloumi. The cheese is so salty, but in a good way, and it can be hard to pinpoint exactly what the flavor might remind you of at times. I tend to think that Halloumi tastes a bit like a mix between Feta and Mozzarella, but it really just has a flavor all its own. Once you try it you are bound to get hooked on it!
KETO GRILLED HALLOUMI CAPRESE SALAD
Ease of Preparation: Easy
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 7 Ounce Package of Halloumi Cheese
- 1 Medium Tomato
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 TBSP Unrefined Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- If your Haloumi does not come pre-sliced, then slice it into roughly 1 ounce slices.
- Slice your tomato and discards the top and bottom slices.
- Warm up your charcoal grill and place Halloumi cheese directly onto the grates of the grill. Give them a little shimmy back and forth right when they touch the grill to help prevent them from sticking. Sometimes a little bit sticks to the grates of the grill anyway, but it’s not the end of the world.
- Carefully flip the Halloumi over after the first side if cooked to your liking. Be very careful when cooking the second side, as it cooks WAY faster than the first side from my experience. Keep your eye on it.
- When the Halloumi is cooked to you liking, bring it in and assemble your Caprese Salad.
- Alternate between Tomato slice, Cheese slice, and Basil until you have assembled your whole Caprese Salad.
- Top with a sprinkle of dried Oregano, Olive Oil drizzle, and Balsamic Vinegar.