Keto Mozzarella Stuffed Portobello Burger Recipe
Sometimes I am craving a good burger, but don’t want to simply eat it with a fork and knife just because I am eating Keto. Additionally, sometimes I don’t want to go through the hassle of making up some Keto Biscuits of Buns just to have a good burger. Portobello Mushrooms can be roughly as wide as a hamburger bun, so I figured that if I used them as my hamburger buns I would also be adding a lot more flavor and veggies to this recipe too. Then the thought hit me to make it a double cheeseburger, but with the Mozzarella Cheese stuffed on the inside of the meat patties. The result was a delicious combination that reminded me a lot of a good steak burger.
You can certainly take this inspiration and alter it any which way you choose, like opting for Cheddar Cheese instead of Mozzarella, or topping it with Rao’s Marinara Sauce instead of a tomato. Get creative with it, so that you can add some variety each and every time you make hamburgers at home. Just because we are eating either Keto or Low-Carb does not mean that we can’t have interesting choices to eat. You also should be making sure that you are eating your vegetables too, and this is a good way to sneak some in where it won’t feel like you are eating hamburgers off a plate with a side salad.
If you are looking to increase the fat content of this burger to get it more in line with your macros, you can choose a higher fat content of the Grass-Fed Ground Beef. It may be harder to find, as it seems most butchers tend to think that people looking for Grass-Fed options are also looking for leaner fat content. Additionally, Grass-Fed Beef in typically naturally lower in fat content, since the cows would gain significantly more body fat if they are grain fed (imagine that!). As a result much of the Grass-fed ground beef that I have found at Costco, Kroger, Sprouts, etc tends to only be 90% to 93% lean. I would otherwise normally prefer to make burgers with an 80% lean ground chuck (meaning 20% fat content), which is more typical of a restaurant quality burger. If you can find that in the grass-fed variety, more power to you. Otherwise you could opt for the more traditional non-grass-fed beef, but just check your label to make sure the cows are not treated with antibiotics, etc. if you do so.
KETO MOZZARELLA STUFFED PORTOBELLO BURGER RECIPE
Ease of Preparation: Easy
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 Pounds Grass-Fed Ground Beef
- 6 Medium Portobello Mushrooms
- 3 Ounces Fresh Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 1 Small Red Onion
- Granulated Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Wash the Portobello Mushrooms, and cut off the stems.
- Drizzle the Portobello Mushrooms with your choice of Olive Oil or Avocado Oil.
- Season the Mushrooms to your liking, I use Onion Powder, Granulated Garlic, Pink Himalayan Salt, and Black Pepper.
- Set the Mushrooms aside for grilling later.
- Slice the Fresh Mozzarella width-wise into roughly 1 Ounce medallions.
- Take your package of Grass-fed Ground Beef and take approximately 1/4 to 1/3 pound and make into a patty by hand.
- Using a drinking glass of similarly shaped object create a cavity in the beef patty for holding the Mozzarella Cheese slices.
- Create another Beef Patty with another 1/4 to 1/3 Pound of the Grass-fed Ground Beef and place on top of the other patty. Press and pinch the sides together to seal in the Mozzarella Cheese.
- Place the Mushrooms and Beef Patties on the Grill on Medium-High Heat. Be careful not to overcook the Portobello Mushrooms, as they may need to be removed from the grill sooner than your Mozzarella Stuffed Burger.
- When the Mushrooms and Mozzarella Stuffed Burgers are cooked to your liking, remove them from the grill, and begin assembly by placing one of the Portobello Mushrooms upside-down on a plate.
- You can use additional condiments like Mayo or Mustard if you prefer, but this should already be a very juicy burger as-is.
- Top your burger with Fresh Basil leaves, a Tomato Slice, and some Red Onion.